Call for Consultants (Evaluators, Statisticians, M&E & Sector experts, Proposal writers, Researchers and Enumerators).
- Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland or home-based
- Responsible to: Director of FUNABUSCAD
- Starting date: As soon as possible-December 2022
- Working hours: Full-time or Part-time
- Closing date: 31 January 2023
Global Peace and Prosperity Initiative (GLOPPI) is a right-based international organization operating in the Horn and Eastern Africa especially Kenya, Somaliland and Somalia. GLOPPI envisions a peaceful and prosperous world where human/minority rights are respected and fully enjoyed. In collaboration with others, GLOPPI strives to transform people’s lives by eliminating poverty, violent conflicts and poor governance to bring about lasting peace and prosperity to the world’s most vulnerable, marginalized, excluded and poorest communities especially women, children, youth, minority and endogenous groups through innovative, high impact and relevant programmes and projects in the areas of good governance, livelihoods, food security, entrepreneurship and employment, value addition, resilience, access to social services, human rights, gender and social inclusion, emergencies and protection. GLOPPI empowers the poor, marginalized, excluded and suffering people to lead a peaceful and prosperous life. We focus on regions and countries where people suffer most as a result of extreme poverty, violent and recurrent conflicts, weak governance as well as marginalization.
Public, private and non-profit organisations in Somaliland and Somalia have organizational capacity gaps and require various consultancies to achieve their organizational or project objectives. Quality consultancy services to those organizations are often compromised. GLOPPI also experienced such problems in the past. Therefore, GLOPPI would like to support its affiliated FUNABUSCAD Consultancy Services in Horn and East Africa, especially in Somaliland, Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia etc to provide quality consultancy services to the public, private and non-profit sectors. FUNABUSCAD will also provide consultancy services to GLOPPI and other organizations and will conduct consultancies, evaluate its projects, and conduct baseline and end-line services and research in various sectors.
This will improve the quality of services to the humanitarian sector in general and the programme participants in particular and help organizations to be effective in discharging their responsibilities and mandates. The positions of consultants from various fields of specialization are interesting for those individuals who are interested to make a difference in the lives of the people and in improving the humanitarian sector. Therefore, GLOPPI would like to receive applications for these various and interesting positions from qualified and experienced consultants. The consultants will work with FUNABUSCAD and will come to the location of consultancies when needed (mainly in the Horn and East Africa). Depending on the type of assignments, some consultants will also work from home. Please apply from anywhere around the world and can come to Hargeisa or Nairobi occasionally when absolutely necessary.
The following is a brief description and the roles of the types of consultants required for different assignments to be conducted in Horn and East Africa.
1. Project Evaluators
The project evaluators are consultants who will be involved in the evaluation of projects. They will work with FUNABUSACD and will carry out assignments or consultancies related to project evaluations. They will evaluate humanitarian or development projects implemented by INGOs, UN agencies and those sponsored by donors. They will also participate in baseline and end-line surveys. When needed, they will evaluate GLOPPI projects as external consultants. So they must have at least 5-10 years of experience in project evaluation in humanitarian sectors.
2. Sector experts
These are also consultants who have higher qualifications, specialized knowledge and experience in the sector of interest or one of the below-mentioned sectors. They will act as consultants or advisors in that sector and will carry out any assignments or consultancies related to that sector or field of specialization. They will also work with FUNABUSCAD and carry out any assignments or consultancies under FUNABUSCAD’s contracts. They will be technical advisors in that sector. They will advise FUNABUSCAD in the development of proposals and bids. When requested, they will be seconded to an institution to support its activities for a period of time. They are expected to be thought leaders in those sectors. Therefore, they must have 10 years of professional experience in those sectors and must demonstrate technical and specialized knowledge in the sector of interest. The following are the sectors:
- Food security and livelihoods
- Agriculture and Irrigation
- Water and soil management /Conservation and Watershed management
- Natural Resource Management
- Livestock and animal husbandry
- Poultry and Epiculture
- Agriculture and Livestock Value Addition
- Food Science and Processing
- DRR and Resilience and Climate Change Adaptation
- Education and Education Management
- Health and Nutrition
- Water and Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Shelter and Settlement Management
- Good Governance and Democracy
- Human Rights (Child rights, Women righWomen’sinority/Indigenous rights)
- Gender and social inclusion
- Conflict Transformation and Peace Building
- Business Management and Entrepreneurship
- Economic growth and development
- Youth employment and online employment
- Small-scale mining and processing
- Energy and/or renewable energy
- Communication, Journalism and Media (including social media)
Other areas of interest/Cross-cutting
- Organizational development,
- Human resource planning and capacity building
- Strategic planning
- Public management and reform
- Technology and technology transfer
- Technical and Vocational training
Please specify if you are an expert in one of the combined sectors. For example, if you are an expert in health and not nutrition, you can apply for the health sector and exclude nutrition e.g application for sector expert-health.
Statisticians are consultants who will be involved in the development of the methodologies for consultancies, studies, research and evaluations etc. Based on the objectives of the studies, research or evaluation, they will design appropriate data collection tools or questionnaires which will be used to collect data in a way that makes data analysis easier. They will also be involved in the data analysis, interpretation and reporting. Therefore, they must have at least 5-10 years of experience in complex data collection, analysis and reporting. They must be proficient in the use of data analysis software packages such as SPSS, Strata, E-views etc Statisticians can be often home-based but will come to Hargeisa when absolutely needed.
4. M &E Experts
The associate consultants are experts in monitoring, evaluation and learning. They will design and develop M&E and MEAL systems and log-frames for any project under contract. They will work with FUNABUSCAD and help clients to implement M&E systems from collecting monitoring data to decision-making. They will also contribute to any assignment related to monitoring and evaluation. Together with the project evaluators, they will also carry out evaluation and impact assessments. They will also participate in baseline and end-line surveys. So they must have at least 5-10 years of experience in developing M&E systems for both projects and programmes.
5. Proposal and Report writers (editors)
Proposal writers are consultants who have specialized in writing proposals and reports to various audiences. Their most important role is to write proposals to donors and funding organizations. These proposals are mainly consultancy or project-related proposals in response to calls for proposals requested by donors or funding agencies. They will be given assignments to write proposals for local NGOs, INGOs, UN agencies and governments when they request. It will also be useful and preferable if they can write proposals for businesses to raise funds from donors or banks. So they must have 10 years of experience in writing winning proposals and experience in writing proposals to major donors such as EU, DFID, USAID, OFDA, DANIDA, SIDA, CIDA, WB, ADB, etc and UN agencies strongly preferred. Exceptional writing skills are required for proposal and report writers. It is also preferable if they can write exceptional reports or they can edit reports intended for high-level officials and institutions. You can also apply for business proposal writers if you are an exceptional business proposal writer and have the required experience.
Researchers are professional consultants who will work with FUNABUSCAD to conduct research in various areas in the Horn and East Africa. They will be engaged in the research proposals and designs and implementation. The research will be mainly related to the humanitarian and development sector. They will conduct specific studies or research requested by INGOs, UN agencies and governments in the Horn or East Africa. When given the assignments, they will carry out research in a timely manner. They must have the knowledge, skills and experience in conducting qualitative and quantitative research of the highest quality. They must have at least 10 years of experience in research with reputable organizations and research institutes or universities.
Enumerators will work under researchers, proposal writers, M&E experts, and sector experts and will collect data in their locations. They will work with FUNABUSCAD and will collect data for consultancies, studies, research, proposals, project evaluations and impact assessments. For the time being, enumerators must live in different regions and districts (counties) of Somaliland, Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia. They must have at least 2 years of experience in collecting both quantitative and qualitative data and must have experience in using different types of data collection tools and techniques (questionnaires, semi-structured interviews, focus groups, key informants and case studies etc).
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the leadership and consultants to identify consultancy opportunities and other assignments.
- Review call for proposals and analyse the requirements and if relevant to FUNABUSCAD.
- Network with other organisations and collect relevant information in your sector
- Maintain current knowledge of the subject; stay abreast of new developments, events and technologies as well as new methods and techniques of conducting consultancies.
- Work with the GLOPPI team and identify projects that require consultancies and research and agree on when and how to be implemented on time without delay of the projects.
- Support the FUNABUSCAD leadership and other consultants and develop winning consultancy proposals (when needed).
- Work with other colleagues to follow up on the submitted proposals and participate in evaluations and interviews required by other organizations when needed.
- Develop consultancy methodology and inception reports after winning consultancy contracts.
- Prepare the work plans for the implementation of consultancies, evaluations and research.
- Ensure collection, analysis and interpretation of the data and present clearly and professionally (statisticians).
- Work with the clients and identify and understand their needs and specifications and ensure that their consultancy needs and requirements.
- In consultation with the leadership and other consultants, carry out the assignments given and ensure successful and timely completion of the assignments.
- Ensure timely reports for all assignments and that the reports comply with the guidelines given.
- Ensure the incorporation of all comments and feedback given into the reports
- Maintain high-level relationships with the clients and ensure that they are satisfied with the consultancy services provided.
- Do other activities as directed by your supervisor
- You must have at least a Master degree in subject of interest (field of specialization)-PHD preferred.
- You must have 10 years of experience in conducting consultancies in your sector or field of specialization or preferred sector
- Your must have at least 5 years ‘experience of working with International NGOs, UN-agencies and public organizations as an employee or as a consultant.
- You must have conducted consultancies for International NGOs, UN-agencies and governments preferably in the Horn or East of Africa in the last three years and have the consultancy reports.
- You must have 5-10 years of experience in conducting project evaluations for public, private and non-profit sectors (evaluators) preferably in the Horn or East Africa.
- You have must have 5-10 years of experience in collecting, analyzing and interpreting complex data related to humanitarian work (statisticians).
- You must have at least 5-10 years of experience in writing consultancy, project and business proposals for INGOs, UN agencies, governments and donors (proposal writers).
- Experience and skills in writing successful (consultancy/project) proposals to at least one of these donors (EU, DFID, USAID, OFDA, DANIDA, SIDA, CIDA, WB, ADB, etc) and UN agencies strongly preferred (Proposal writers).
- You must have excellent report-writing skills.
- You must be a good communicator, effectively communicating with all stakeholders.
- You must have the ability to work in stressful situations and under pressure.
- You must have planning, organisational and interpersonal skills.
- You must be patient, confident, and hard-working and must have clear diction and lateral thinking.
- You must be able to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- You must be willing to come to work in Hargeisa, Somaliland when needed.
- You must have at least two years of experience in conducting training-preferred
- Have 5 years of training experience in your sector of specialization preferred.
- Excellent training skills in your sector of specialization preferred
HOW TO APPLY
If you think you meet the job specification, please submit the most recent consultancy report (sector experts), evaluation reports (project evaluators), questionnaires and analyzed statistical data (statisticians) and updated CVs/Resume and two most recent professional references motivation letter (specifying your achievements and why you think you are the right person for these positions to email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 31 January 2023.
Please submit one of the most recent consultancies, evaluations, proposals, M&E frameworks, and research reports that you developed or carried out. Each consultant is expected to submit a different report as mentioned below:
- Evaluation reports (project evaluators),
- Sector-related consultancy reports (sector experts);
- M&E system or framework (M&E experts)
- successful and contracted consultancy or funded project proposal (proposal writers)
- successful and funded business proposal (business proposal writers);
- approved and well-analysed complex statistical data and reports (statisticians)
- well-articulated report (report writers)
- Research reports (researchers)
- A sample of the data collected (enumerators)
Please don’t forget to submit your updated CV and cover letter with the other reports mentioned above. You must also submit the two most recent professional references with whom you worked in the last three years. Sector experts must specify the sector of interest.
Please put the name of the position followed by the sector(s) in the subject line of your email e.g
- Application for consultant-sector expert-food security
- Application for consultant–project evaluator
- Application for Consultant-M&E expert.
- Application for Consultant-Statisticians.
- Application for consultant-researcher
- Application for consultant-project proposal writer or business proposal writer-
- Application for consultant-report-writer
Enumerators will mention, the position, country, district, and county/woreda where they live in the subject line of your email. Don’t write villages. Only districts and above are accepted. E.g
- Application for Enumerator-Somaliland-Hargeisa
- Application for Enumerator-Somalia-Mogadishu
- Application for Enumerator-Kenya-Nairobi
- Application for Enumerator-Ethiopia-Jigjiga
Because of the urgency of this position, we will review the applications regularly as we receive applications. Unfortunately, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.