Civil engineer/Rural infrastructure engineer
- Requisition ID: req31526
- Job Title: Civil engineer/Rural infrastructure engineer
- Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
- Employment Category: Proposal
- Employment Type: Full-Time
- Open to Expatriates: Yes
- Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
The IRC began working in Somalia in the early 1980s; initially to assist people seeking refuge in the aftermath of the Somalia-Ethiopian conflict. The focus of IRC Somalia programming is on Economic Recovery and Development (ERD), Health and Nutrition, WASH, Governance and Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) interventions to crisis affected communities in most of the targeted locations. With headquarters in Mogadishu, the IRC oversees field offices in Garowe, Gaalkayo, Dhusamareb and Baidoa in Puntland, Galmudug, Southwest and Benadir Region. IRC programming in Somalia adopts an integrated and holistic approach, in which each sector provides mutually reinforcing services to at-risk populations.
Job and project overview
The IRC is currently looking for a highly qualified and professional Civil engineer/Rural Infrastructure engineer for an upcoming opportunity entitled ‘Build Resilience for Food & Nutrition Security (BREFONS) which is funded by the African Development Bank (AfDB) through the Ministry of Livestock, Forestry, and Range (MoLFR) of the Federal Republic of Somalia (being the Executing Agency). BREFONS will be implemented in selected areas in Somaliland, Puntland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Southwest, and Jubbaland.
The ambitious BREFONS project is expected to improve living conditions of rural communities in the above-mentioned project target areas by improving their access to water, pasture, and infrastructure for livestock health and markets. The main components of the project include:
i) Strengthening the resilience of Pastoral and Agropastoral Production systems,
ii) Supporting Agribusiness Development in Pastoral Communities,
iii) Strengthening the Adaptive Capacity to Climate Change; and
iv) Project management and coordination. Gender, climate change, fragility and environmental requirements will be mainstreamed and integrated across all components.
Under the main components mentioned above, the project will support the development of Climate Resilient Infrastructures for Agropastoral Production Systems, sustainable Management of Agropastoral lands, Climate Smart Technologies and Innovations, facilitation of Access to Market and Digital Advisory Services, as well as to support with Livelihood Diversification, the development and improvement of weather and climate services, the mainstreaming of Climate Risk Finance and Insurance; operational and institution capacity for climate resilience and adaptation and Project management and coordination at national and regional state levels.
Scope of work
The Civil engineer will provide engineering support to the BREFONS project for the successful and timely completion of works related to rehabilitation and construction of infrastructures including but not limited to: earth-dams, water canals, boreholes, elevated tanks, roads, buildings, fodder banks, abattoirs, markets, solar power installations. Under the supervision of the project coordinator, the Civil engineer/rural infrastructure engineer will coordinate and conduct technical and feasibility assessments of construction/rehabilitation works in all project’s operational areas. The Civil engineer will be responsible for developing technical designs, detailed bills of quantities (BOQ) with estimated costs, drawings and structural calculations for the construction/rehabilitation works required in line with AfDB regulations as well as the existing local, national, international standards.
The Civil engineer will be based in Mogadishu with frequent travel to project sites in Somaliland, Puntland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Southwest and Jubbaland. S/he will be reporting to Team leader/Project Coordinator.
• Conduct technical and feasibility assessment of all planned construction/ rehabilitation works in project operational areas.
• Identify key infrastructure construction risks and communicate with the Team Leader/Project Coordinator and key stakeholders as well as develop appropriate mitigation measures for all construction associated risks.
• Develop technical designs, detailed bills of quantities (BOQ) with estimated costs, drawings and structural calculations, and scope of work for the construction/rehabilitation works required in line with AfDB’s regulations as well as the existing local, national, and international standards.
• Work in consultation with the Environmental and Social Safeguards Officer, ensure all constructions adhere to environmental and social safeguards standards.
• Develop Detailed Construction Implementation (DIP) work plan right from the initial stage until the post work completion to handing over stage in line with the IRC`s Construction Guidelines.
• Ensure the quality control of works, compliance with quality standards and specifications, safe construction practices.
• Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from the acceptable country of origin (as required).
• Ensure the compliance with the construction safety measures during the implementation.
• With support of Environmental and Social Safeguards Officer, ensure environmental and social safety screenings is done and appropriate checklists are in place to monitor it.
• Ensure all construction works have the approval of relevant government authorities.
• Participate in procurement of construction related works and materials, from tender preparation to evaluation and ensure adequate technical considerations are in place before award of construction contracts.
• Review existing implementation plans for accuracy and quality — and where possible, suggest technical changes in order to avoid any deviation of the delivery timeframe and quality programming.
• Monitor, document and report the progress of construction, cost and quality by using checklists or other supervision and management tools prepared for the construction activities to ensure timely, cost effective and quality delivery of the works.
• Write and submit weekly activity reports and files visit reports at critical points of the construction/rehabilitation works.
• As appropriate, ensure that the contractor maintains proper inventory control systems of commodities/goods transactions.
• As required, support emergency planning processes and response.
• Certify achievement of contractual milestones, and provide report to BREFONS Project Coordinator so payment to contractors can be processed timely.
• Manage relations with contractors from inception to closure, ensuring that all parties adhere to the provisions of the contract.
• Contribute to performance review of contractors as part of Procurement Committee.
• Document any breaches by contractors and escalate to management accordingly.
• Supervise and follow up constructions to ensure timely, cost effective and quality delivery of the works.
Required qualifications & competencies:
• BSc in Civil Engineering or hydrogeology or equivalent
• 10 years’ experience in managing water supply and sanitation, road construction, rural infrastructure facilities.
• Experience in supervision of contractors and contract administration.
• Experience working with AfDB, or similar bilateral donor or multilateral development banks, on commercial contract management.
• A thorough understanding of the institutional and political context in Somalia and power dynamics.
• Demonstrated ability for rapid analysis of complex issues, strong decision-making, and translation of programmatic priorities into operational strategies;
• Ability to oversee the measurement and communication of robust results and impact and hold their team and implementing partners accountable for good and timely performance.
• Strong understanding of operational management, fiduciary risk, attention to Value for Money and the importance of learning and continual improvement.
• Fluency in English and Somali desired.
• Excellent IT skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and preferably a design and drawing software.
• Ability to manage a large and varied workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Somali nationals are particularly encouraged to apply.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: the IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances, and encourage qualified female candidates to apply.
Diversity and Inclusion: at the IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
HOW TO APPLY
Closing date: 14 Oct 2022