Deputy National Risk Management Advisor – Somaliland (Burco)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Somalia since 1964. As a service provider with worldwide operations in the fields of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ works with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. The goal of GIZ is to support the capacity development of people, organizations and institutional structures in the partner countries so as to enable them better their living conditions through their own efforts.
The German Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH RMO , supports the safe and effective implementation of GIZ projects across Somalia through a state-of-the-art security risk management system in order to minimize the risks faced by GIZ staff members and projects
The Deputy National Risk Management Adviser is responsible for:
- Supporting the region National Risk Management Advisor in day to day operations and project liaison in the assigned duty station.
- Liaison with relevant external organisations (UNDSS, INSO/NSP, POLICE, SPU) and internally within GIZ.
- Supporting the region National Risk Management Advisor as the operational focal point for security issues among GIZ staff, visitors and consultants in Burco.
- Implementing and Maintaining the GIZ Minimum Security Standards and any other Security Risk Management policies and processes.
- Providing safety and security advice to the GIZ Somalia decision makers, project and programme managers as well as staff.
- Analytical outputs for the duty station.
The Deputy National Risk Management Advisor performs the following tasks:
- Assist in oversight of travels to and from Burco and surrounding areas of Togdheer (focus Oodweyne), and approval and record of work-related movements within the town.
- Assist in developing, implement and maintain a GIZ Security Risk Management system for Burco.
- Assist in maintaining the HRE plan for Burco and produce on regular basis required security information documents and weekly reports, including incident mappings, information reports and security alerts.
- Adding to adherence and developing situational awareness in Somaliland
2. Professional advisory services
- Undertake regular assessments / analysis and make recommendations with regards to safety and security of facilities, offices, residences and movements.
- Provides insight and analytical input for Togdheer and eastern Somaliland as required.
- Ensure that adequate means of communication are in place, equipment is maintained, and personnel are trained on how to use it.
- Identifies, prepares together with the NRMA, Senior IRMA/IRMA as well as consultants and /or subject matter specialists training needs and materials for safety and security for GIZ staff.
3. Networking and cooperation
- Liaise and collaborate with different official and informal national civilian authorities as well as with national and international risk management entities.
4. Knowledge management
- Conduct security briefings and necessary training (for example on HRE) for all personnel.
- Evaluate on a regular basis GIZ’s operational risk exposure
- Update the internal RMO files regarding Burco and Togdheer on a regular basis.
- Maintain responsibility (with support of the NRMA and Senior IRMA/IRMA) for identification and training of field assistants as well as the development of the necessary briefing materials as required.
5. Management and coordination tasks
- Flexibly schedule, follow detailed procedures, as well as good customer skills.
- Researches and develops tools for early warning of the changing trends in security management.
- With the NRMA, Senior Advisor / Senior IRMA / IRMA, ensure the RMO is ready to manage a crisis situation in Burco.
6. Other duties/additional tasks
- Any other assignment(s) as may be determined by the Project Management.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- BA in Social Sciences or equivalent (or significant amount of experience in the similar roles in UN, INGO or similar).
- 3-5 years’ professional experience, in a comparable position in International Non-Governmental Organisations (INGO), Bilateral Organisation or state institution.
- Demonstrated performance in a management role, ideally in an international organization in the development sector or state institution.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and evaluate staff
- Military, police or security/intelligence experience an asset
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, VHF radio, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- A proven track record in a managerial position.
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Working Arrangements and Reporting
The Deputy NRMA will be based in Burco and work under the direct supervision of the National Risk Management Advisor – Somaliland and the Senior International Risk Management Advisor. The successful applicant may also be required to attend meetings, trainings etc elsewhere in Somalia and Nairobi as required.