Director Operations and Grants – Mogadishu
The USAID/Somalia Bar Ama Baro (BAB) “Teach or Learn” is a 5-year USAID funded Program that aims to increase equitable access to quality education for out-of-school children and youth (9-17 years) who are most marginalized and living in specific regions of Somalia. BAB is implemented under the leadership of the Federal Government of Somalia’s Ministry of Education, Culture, and Higher Education’s (MoECHE) in close collaboration with Federal Member States Ministries of Education (MoEs).
The Director Operations and Grants is part of the project management team. S/he reports to the COP and will provide an oversight and day-to-day management of project operations and administration, including oversight of grants, human resources, IT, and procurement processes. S/he will establish appropriate checks and balances to mitigate risks and conflicts of interest. S/he will ensure all Grants, HR, Operations and Procurement records are audit ready, establish internal controls, and enforce stringent auditing standards that ensure efficiency, accountability, and compliance. S/he also reviews, and audit the documents generated to ensure adherence to Creative and USAID policies and guidelines as well as local labor laws.
The Director Operations and Grants leads;
- The Operations team which includes Operations and Procurement Manager, Project Support Officer/IT, Operations and Procurement Officer and Logistics Assistant.
- Human resources management team that includes, Human Resource Manager and HR Officer.
- The grants management team that includes, Grants Manager and Grants Officer.
Following are the primary responsibilities of the Director Operations and Grants:
- Provide leadership to the operations team and an oversight on the operations, procurement, IT, and Logistics functions including identification of areas of improvement and strategic guidance for overall operations management;
- Ensure accurate and timely information is provided, to assist in the day to day management of the project and to drive management, strategic and procurement decisions;
- Ensure staff are effectively implementing administrative and procurement procedures that are compliant with Creative policies and USAID regulations.
- Oversee the solicitation, award and management of subcontracts, purchase orders, and other procurements.
- Establish appropriate checks and balances to mitigate risks and conflicts of interest;
- Ensure all inventory and procurement records are complete, audit ready and regularly updated on the Field SharePoint;
- Establish internal controls for operations including procurement, inventory and IT and enforce stringent auditing standards that ensure efficiency, accountability and compliance;
- Lead on all close-out of project activities and ensure complete documentation is secured.
Human Resource Management
- Provide leadership to the HR office operations ensuring compliance with Creative policies and Client rules and regulations;
- Provide an oversight to the complete recruitment cycle including staff onboarding & orientation;
- Provide advice on staff training and establishing staff development plans based on probationary and annual performance appraisals;
- Lead grievances or complaints from employees; consults with Home Office HR and legal counsel on complicated cases and provide recommended solutions to the project leadership;
- Ensure all HR practices and documentation are in compliance with the Somali labor laws;
- Ensure personnel files are complete, audit ready and regularly updated on the Field SharePoint;
- Provide leadership to the grants management team and an oversight for the administration of grants under contract, including grants tracking system to ensure timely execution of all grant agreements;
- Oversee the effective management of Grants Program, ensuring specific targets are met in time;
- Supervise all steps involved in the Pre-and Post-Award administration of Grants under Contract;
- Coordinate with finance, program and monitoring staff to facilitate grantees’ kick-off meetings, monitoring and other grants activities from start-up to close-out;
- Provide guidance and interpretation for program staff as well as grantees of Creative’s grants policies and procedures and USG regulations;
- Direct the formation and implementation of grants management and compliance policies and procedures, guiding policy decisions and providing technical expertise;
- Ensure compliance with the grants policies and procedures as detailed in project Grants Manual.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field.
- At least ten (10) years general experience with seven (7) years of demonstrated management and operations experience in running large scale programs.
- Must have exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Must be professionally proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must be able to demonstrate leadership and team-building skills.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the dynamics in Somalia.
- Demonstrated experience of supervising and mentoring project staff.
- Experience working on donor funded projects, preferably with USAID.
HOW TO APPLY
- Follow this link to apply: Application link
- Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- Creative Associates International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (gender/race/disability/veteran) and provides equal opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Please view Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.