Job title: English Instructors (Teachers) -3
- Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland or home-based
- Responsible to: Director of the Institute
- Starting date: December 2022 or January 2023
- Working hours: Full time
- Closing date: 31st January 2023
Global Peace and Prosperity Initiative (GLOPPI) is a right-based international organization operating in the Horn and Eastern Africa especially Kenya, Somaliland and Somalia. GLOPPI envisions a peaceful and prosperous world where human/minority rights are respected and fully enjoyed. In collaboration with others, GLOPPI strives to transform people’s lives by eliminating poverty, violent conflicts and poor governance to bring about lasting peace and prosperity to the world’s most vulnerable, marginalized, excluded and poorest communities especially women, children, youth, minority and endogenous groups through innovative, high impact and relevant programmes and projects in the areas of good governance, livelihoods, food security, entrepreneurship and employment, value addition, resilience, access to social services, human rights, gender and social inclusion, emergencies and protection.
GLOPPI empowers the poor, marginalized, excluded and suffering people to lead a peaceful and prosperous life. We focus on regions and countries where people suffer most as a result of extreme poverty, violent and recurrent conflicts, weak governance as well as marginalization.
GLOPPI would like to support the International Institute of Leadership, Non-Profit Management and Professional Training (ILMIPRO) in Hargeisa, Somaliland. In addition to teaching foreign languages, the institute will also deliver professional, specialized and tailor-made training programmes. This will contribute to employment generation and livelihood by enabling students, university graduates, and employees of public, private and not-for-profit sectors to have strong language foundations to either join the labour market, or universities to further their education and to be proficient and excel in their jobs. This will also enable them to network with the outside world; find more opportunities and create jobs for themselves and the unemployed people.
For beginners, the main purpose of this position is to enable students to learn English and to be proficient and fluent in reading, speaking, listening and writing English within the shortest possible time. The advanced level must achieve the highest level of professional and academic writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively in English (speaking and writing).
These are exciting positions for those individuals who are interested to make a difference by developing the careers of others and supporting them to gain jobs and decent livelihoods and to contribute to economic growth and development. Therefore, GLOPPI would like to receive applications for these interesting and interesting positions from qualified and experienced candidates.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design English language courses for beginners, intermediate and advanced students.
- Prepare and administer entry examinations for each level
- Design, organise and run intensive courses and tailor-made and specialist courses
- Plan, prepare and deliver lessons
- Prepare classroom and coursework materials, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Identify and select the most appropriate and the most effective teaching methods.
- Help students improve their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills via individual and group sessions
- check and assess students’ work and progress against set targets
- Evaluate students’ class work and assignments.
- Organize any extracurricular activities and field trips where necessary and set targets for the student
- Record and maintain accurate student attendance records and grades.
- Maintain discipline and manage the classroom to be effective and interesting.
- Develop English lesson plans in line with the National Curriculum.
- Create a vibrant teaching atmosphere and make the institute the most preferred place for learning English.
- Support the online courses and ensure that students gain English language skills.
- Advise the students and the institute on the best textbooks to be used as reference textbooks.
- Advise the institute on online English programmes.
- Do other activities as directed by your supervisor
- You must have a Masters’s degree in English, English literature or linguistics or other relevant degrees.
- You must have 10 years of experience in teaching English and at least 5 years teaching at recognized universities and colleges. First degree in English, English literature or linguistics and 15 years of teaching experience in lieu of the master’s degree
- You have must excellent teaching skills and knowledge of the most effective teaching methods to teach English to foreign students (students whose first language is not English).
- You must have excellent spoken and written English language skills.
- You must be a good communicator, effectively communicating with all stakeholders including parents.
- You must have the ability to work in stressful situations and under pressure.
- You must have good listening, mentoring and coaching skills.
- You must have planning, organisational and interpersonal skills.
- You must be patient, confident, and hard-working and must have clear diction and lateral thinking.
- You must be able to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- You must use creativity and imagination in your classes
- Experience in handling or facilitating English language proficiency examinations such as TOEFL etc is preferable.
- Proficiency in the Somali language is desirable
- You must be willing to work in Hargeisa, Somaliland when needed.
- You must have 5 years of experience in teaching students of different ages and gender
HOW TO APPLY
If you think you meet the job specification, please send your CVs/Resume and motivation letter (specifying your achievements and why you think you are the right person for this position to email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 31st January 2023.
Please put English Instructor/Teacher in the subject line of your email. Because of the urgency of this position, we will review the applications regularly as we receive applications.
Unfortunately, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.