Project funded by USAID
SCOPE OF WORK
- TITLE: Finance Officer
- DURATION OF CONTRACT: Long-Term
- LOCATION: Mogadishu, Somalia
- SUPERVISOR: Finance Manager
We are a project funded by USAID and implementing projects in Somalia
The Finance Officer (FO) will oversee and execute compliant financial oversight of the program. The FO will provide finance guidance and support to the team with regards to program operations and grant activities, ensuring compliance with internal policies and procedures, USAID rules and regulations, and local legal requirements in Somalia. This position will be based in Mogadishu, Somalia and will report to the Finance Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain all the accounting ledgers and cashbooks, and conduct reconciliations monthly
- Contribute to ensuring that integrity of financial transactions, budget revisions, availability of funds, reconciliation of accounts, maintenance of accounting ledgers and records, and enhance internal control mechanisms
- Supervise the use and reconciliation of petty cash, ensuring all expenses are reasonable and appropriately authorized and recorded to appropriate accounts
- Monitor outstanding local advances and ensuring they are cleared on a regular basis as required by the project
- Reconcile physical cash to the cash tracking sheet daily, and to the cash book weekly
- Ensure that month end file is properly organized and completed with all the required documents
- Support the preparation of monthly check and bank reconciliations
- Support the preparation of monthly support schedules and month-end accounts
- Collate monthly funds requests from field sites and sub-offices, and report needs to supervisor and program leadership to ensure sufficient funds are on hand
- Ensure payroll remittances are made each month on a timely basis and on strict compliance with Somali tax requirements.
- Maintain tracker for social insurance contributions and taxation remittances
- Conduct finance orientation and induction training to newly hired employees
- Assist in facilitating any internal / external audits
- Immediately elevate all major finance issues to senior finance and leadership personnel
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Education and certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or other relevant field
- Full or partial professional qualification from a recognized examination body
Key Position Competencies and Experience:
- At least four (5) years of experience in finance and accounting roles, preferably with an international donor-funded organization
- Prior experience working on USAID-funded programs required.
- Proficiency in all standard Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel and Word
- Experience with accounting software systems, including Quick Books
- Audit experience will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated financial management, accounting, planning and communication skills
- Effective written and oral communication as well as interpersonal skills
- Experience training and mentoring staff
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills and good judgement
- Be proactive, have strong prioritization skills, and the ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- Ability to work with tact in a diverse, multicultural environment
- Possess demonstrated leadership skills, humility, and self-awareness
- Written and Spoken Fluency in English and Somali
- Position open to Somali nationals only.
Project Core Competencies:
- Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust, and commitment
- Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally Demonstrates effective use of skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts
- Adaptability: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment
- Customer/Client Focused: Anticipates, monitors, and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner
- Diversity & Inclusion: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly
- Professionalism: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity, and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates meeting the above requirements are highly encouraged to send their Cover Letters and CVs with three references to email@example.com by 4th December 2022. The subject of the email should read, ‘’FINANCE OFFICER’’.
NOTE: Attractive compensation will be offered to the successful candidate
Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will a candidate be asked for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview and assessment.