SYG_Jobs Action Against Hunger
Head of Food Security, Livelihoods and Resilience Department (Somali Nationals) – Mogadisho
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Haiti, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 1,600 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of Position
The FSL HOD will be responsible in setting the strategic direction, growth, technical support and coordination of Action Against Hunger’s work on tackling the root causes of hunger which includes Nutrition sensitive & cash transfer programming , social protection and shock responsive safety nets, economic resilience, climate adaptation and resilience, food security and livelihoods and economic empowerment programming. This includes leading and overseeing the development and delivery of high quality and cost effective humanitarian and long-term development programs, resulting in enhancing community’s access to sustainable sources of food and income
The Head of FSL and Resilience Department Provides technical leadership to Action Against Hunger’s nutrition security programs through context analysis, development of strategic FSL & R priorities and promotion of technical innovations and learning capitalization.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- Support the analysis of the humanitarian context through high quality field assessments, consultation with stakeholders and collection/analysis of secondary data.
- Develop strategic positioning for the technical department in close consultation with field teams and other technical departments, as appropriate.
- Provide technical leadership in responding to emergencies, market-based programming, Climate adaptation, innovation, Social protection, environment and nutrition sensitive programming in the Livelihoods and Food Security sector.
- Lead on new proposal development, produce technical and necessary parts of proposals in accordance with donor formats and deadlines, and ensuring close coordination with all the relevant technical and support sectors of Action Against Hunger and partner organizations.
- Provide technical leadership in Food Security, Social Protection and livelihoods focused studies, documentation and dissemination of innovations and good practices to inform project design, implementation and policy and advocacy efforts in line with the Country Office’s Evidence & Learning Agenda.
- Ensure a close and regular coordination with other technical departments for overall program coherence; and support departments (logistics, administration and human resources) in procurement planning and follow-up, cash forecasts and budget follow-ups, human resources planning and overall staff management.
- Conduct technical review of internal and external reports to support Action Against Hunger obligations to donors.
- Ensure harmonization and coherence of program approach and activities across all program bases with the development of project implementation plans and regular follow-up, including the follow-up of APRs and analysis with budget and logistics follow-up.
- Ensure that relevant stakeholders have a clear understanding of Action Against Hunger charter, background, program objectives and activities in the field.
- Collaborate and support the establishment of strategic partnerships with other institutions that can support Action Against Hunger work amplifying the impact of Action Against Hunger work in Somalia.
- Supervise/provide technical support to field PMs and conduct regular field visits.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values
Respect– we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence– we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment– we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
- Master’s degree in food security, Agricultural Education and Extension, Agricultural/Applied Economics, Agribusiness Management, Food Policy and Applied food science, Veterinary Sciences, or related courses.
- At least 5 years’ experience in developing, overseeing and delivering high quality and cost-effective humanitarian and long-term development programs (experience in social protection or economic empowerment or climate change/economic resilience preferable.
- Experience in strategic planning, including an ability to prioritize among competing demands and opportunities, and an ability to scan the horizon and manage risks.
- Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff.
- Excellent knowledge of technical fields related to Food Security & Livelihoods that includes excellent working knowledge of food security, Market systems and nutrition sensitive resilience.
- Sound analytical and technical competence in the subject matter of food security and livelihoods
- Field experience in FSL programming, including agro ecology, value chain analysis, income generation, emergency food assistance, COD, HEA, etc.
- Strong analytical and writing skills is essential.
- Knowledge and experience in assessment and research methods.
- Strong organizational skills and technical review/writing of detailed technical documents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Capacity to represent the organization in various fora.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
HOW TO APPLY
- Due to Urgent need to fill this position, Applications will be reviewed on rolling bases
- Click the link to apply the position: https://apply.workable.com/action-against-hunger/j/1E5319EE11/