Livestock Production Specialist
- Requisition ID: req31537
- Job Title: Livestock Production Specialist
- Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
- Employment Category: Proposal
- Employment Type: Full-Time
- Open to Expatriates: Yes
- Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
The IRC began working in Somalia in the early 1980s; initially to assist people seeking refuge in the aftermath of the Somalia-Ethiopian conflict. The focus of IRC Somalia programming is on Economic Recovery and Development (ERD), Health and Nutrition, WASH, Governance and Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) interventions to crisis affected communities in most of the targeted locations. With headquarters in Mogadishu, the IRC oversees field offices in Garowe, Gaalkayo, Dhusamareb and Baidoa in Puntland, Galmudug, Southwest and Benadir Region. IRC programming in Somalia adopts an integrated and holistic approach, in which each sector provides mutually reinforcing services to at-risk populations.
Job and project overview
The IRC is seeking experienced, highly qualified and professional Livestock Production Specialist for an upcoming opportunity entitled ‘Build Resilience for Food & Nutrition Security (BREFONS) which is funded by the African Development Bank (AfDB) through the Ministry of Livestock, Forestry, and Range (MoLFR) of the Federal Republic of Somalia (being the Executing Agency). BREFONS will be implemented in selected areas in Somaliland, Puntland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Southwest, and Jubbaland.
The ambitious BREFONS project is expected to improve living conditions of rural communities in the above-mentioned project target areas by improving their access to water, pasture, and infrastructure for livestock health and markets. The main components of the project include:
i) Strengthening the resilience of Pastoral and Agropastoral Production systems,
ii) Supporting Agribusiness Development in Pastoral Communities,
iii) Strengthening the Adaptive Capacity to Climate Change; and
iv) Project management and coordination. Gender, climate change, fragility and environmental requirements will be mainstreamed and integrated across all components.
Under the main components mentioned above, the project will support the development of Climate Resilient Infrastructures for Agropastoral Production Systems, sustainable Management of Agropastoral lands, Climate Smart Technologies and Innovations, facilitation of Access to Market and Digital Advisory Services, as well as to support with Livelihood Diversification, the development and improvement of weather and climate services, the mainstreaming of Climate Risk Finance and Insurance; operational and institution capacity for climate resilience and adaptation and Project management and coordination at national and regional state levels.
Scope of work
The Livestock Production Specialist will coordinate all livestock related activities, provide technical leadership to the program and manage activities aimed at enhancing Livestock productivity and improving communities’ resilience to shocks and stresses (disasters/hazards). S/he will have demonstrated experience in managing livestock initiatives in the past, and experience in designing and implementing programs in Somalia will be a significant advantage. The Livestock Production Specialist will have worked on (or demonstrate a solid understanding of) veterinary care, feed formulation and pasture management, rangeland management, herd size management and herd improvement, livestock breeding, livestock market systems and livestock value chain development and similar themes. The Livestock Production Specialist will report to Team leader/Project Coordinator and will work with the rest of the project team as well as IRC’s ERD technical teams to design and implement interventions appropriate to the Somalia context in both; pastoral and agro-pastoralist systems. In particularly those which look at improving opportunities and decision-making within households’ overuse of resources (land, inputs and credit). S/he will need to take a long-term view to ensure that the methods promoted and devised with program beneficiaries will lead to improved resilience without resorting to unsustainable practices that cannot be maintained beyond the life of the funding. The Livestock Production Specialist will be based in Mogadishu, with frequent travel project sites in Somaliland, Puntland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Southwest and Jubaland.
• Provide technical guidance on all livestock production thematic areas covering climate-smart livestock production skills including but not limited to; veterinary care, feed formulation and pasture management, rangeland management, herd size management and herd improvement, livestock breeding, livestock market system and value chain development systems and similar themes
• Develop clear implementation plans for livestock subsector activities in close collaboration with the respective project managers, technical personnel in livestock and operation units.
• Responsible for preparing technical specifications of livestock inputs, equipment and other supplies envisaged in projects’ documents, contributing to developing procurement plans and participating in technical evaluation of bid offers for supplies.
• Establish linkages with appropriate national and governorate authorities, and other stakeholders and establish area coordination mechanism for livestock interventions.
• In collaboration with Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) unit, contribute to developing criteria for selection of projects beneficiaries, geographical targeting and benchmark indicators for post distribution and end-projects monitoring.
• Contribute to the preparation of Request for Proposals (RFP), technical evaluation of technical and financial proposals submitted by service providers (SP), prepare Letter of Agreements (LoAs) with Service providers for respective activities.
• Plan, organize and conduct capacity building sessions for ministry staff both federal and member states on good animal production practices as required ensuring optimum use of projects inputs.
• Contribute to the production of technical training manuals and related capacity building materials, coaching and mentoring on animal production;
• Work closely with animal health workers to conduct behavior change campaigns among pastoralists.
• Train and mentor animal health workers to establish and expand successful tele-aided mobile private services in the communities.
• Initiate and provide business development services to strengthen private vet drug shops including Community Animal Health Workers ( CAHWs) owned.
• Guide the process to identify and support private vet shops to expand outreach.
• Provide technical guidance in the procurement of all veterinary supplies as necessary.
• Initiate and facilitate livestock owners to access to reliable markets of livestock and its products.
• Monitor the impact and provide regular reports on the progress of livestock support activities.
• Document best practices, success stories and lessons learned based on beneficiaries’ feedback and own observations from the field contribute to preparation of reports (monthly, interim narrative and terminal donors’ reports) and periodic progress and ad hoc reports, monitoring reports, and final narrative projects reports for submission to donors.
Required qualifications & competencies:
• Minimum Master’s degree, MSc in Animal Science, Veterinary science, livestock management, agriculture or equivalent
• At least 10 years’ experience in the area of animal science, production, animal feed, and rangeland management.
• Experience in animal resource management and good knowledge of the livestock sector in Somalia.
• S/he should have practical experience in livestock production and value chain development.
• Experience working with AfDB, or similar bilateral donors, on commercial contract management.
• A thorough understanding of the institutional and political context in Somalia, with knowledge of institutional strengthening and policy development in post-conflict contexts, particularly on pastoral livelihoods in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) with strong experience on cross-cutting themes around gender and inclusion strategies.
• Demonstrated ability for rapid analysis of complex issues, strong decision-making, and translation of programmatic priorities into operational strategies;
• Ability to oversee the measurement and communication of robust results and impact and hold their team and implementing partners accountable for good and timely performance.
• Strong understanding of operational management, fiduciary risk, attention to Value for Money and the importance of learning and continual improvement.
• Fluency in English and Somali (spoken and written).
• Excellent IT skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Ability to manage a large and varied workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Somali nationals are particularly encouraged to apply.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: The IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: at the IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
HOW TO APPLY
Follow this link to Apply: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/31537?c=rescue
Closing date: 14 Oct 2022