Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer
Trócaire is one of Ireland’s top International NGOs, having 50 years’ of experience in international Development. Trócaire works through partners and is a member of worldwide networks such as Caritas and Cooperation Internationale pour le Development et la Solidarité (CIDSE).
Trócaire has been working in Gedo in health, nutrition and education for the last 30 years. Currently Trócaire implements Health, Nutrition, Protection, WASH and Education Programmes and works with local organisations, actors and stakeholders in Gedo.
Trócaire seeks to recruit a dedicated Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer to support the organization’s MEAL and research functions and other duties as assigned. The MEAL Officer will be responsible for supporting baseline surveys, formative and operational researches, community feedback and accountability mechanisms and development of programme reports. S/he will ensure that these tasks are functional and well grounded, strengthening coordination and collaboration with all programme team and partner staff, while ensuring that MEAL is visible within projects.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire will offer a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to the MEAL Coordinator. This is a fixed term renewable contract for one year and is based in Gedo region of Somalia.
Safeguarding Children Policy:
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the MEAL Coordinator, ensure that the projects have solid MEAL plans, Indicator Performance Tracking Tables and log frames
- Support project leads (Programme Coordinators) in updating the indicator tracking tables and provide necessary MEAL guidance regarding project performance.
- Support online reporting of the health programme on DHIS2 (MoH report) and Reporting Hub (cluster report).
- Operationalise MEAL community accountability mechanisms and forums where community are holding Trocaire to account on programme implementation as guided by the MEAL Coordinator
- Support the development of tools and guidelines for data collection, collation and reporting to facilitate timely and accurate collection of indicator data and tracking of beneficiary reach.
- Support program staff on project related M&E templates/forms for data collection; Output trackers (OT) and Indicator Performance Tracking Table (IPTT) etc.
- Conduct field visits to monitor program activities / interventions against Quality Benchmarks/ Quality Checklists through qualitative and quantitative methods, thereafter produce and share reports with MEAL Coordinator and the program team
- Support program staff to strengthen joint planning and monitoring with partners
- Work with the MEAL Coordinator in conducting data quality assessments to ensure that collected data is validated, is accurate and consistent while providing feedback as necessary to program teams
- Provide support for all needs assessments, operational research, and evaluations.
- With direction from the MEAL Coordinator supervise external consultants while they are in the field for data collection
- Assist MEAL Coordinator/ Program Coordinator in preparing and conducting evaluations, project reviews and routine assessments such as Baseline Studies, Post Distribution Monitoring, Client Satisfaction Surveys and Community Based Nutrition Surveillance (CBNS)
- With support from programs teams and the MEAL Coordinator, develop quality case studies that will enhance reporting the external stakeholders.
- Work with MEAL Coordinator to produce MEAL monthly and annual reports
- Support the updating of data on Salesforce
- Any other task that is deemed by management to consistent with this role.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
- University degree or higher qualification in Social Sciences
- At least 2 years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of development and humanitarian projects
- Experience in conducting rigorous data quality assessments, research pieces and report writing
- Experience in supporting research assistants and consultants for quality data collection
- Demonstrated experience of developing communication materials
- Experience in data collection and analysis
- Experience with community engagement on MEAL activities
- Demonstrable experience in training others
- Knowledge of M&E design and quantitative and qualitative evaluation techniques
- Proven technical skills in data management and assessments
- Additional skills/experience in one or more of the following technical areas: health services delivery; health systems strengthening; child health/ nutrition; education, WASH, livelihoods
- Ability to present concise reports, reflecting the problems and possible solutions
- Excellent communication skills, including fluency in written and spoken English and proficiency in Somali language is essential.
- Strong computer skills and a working knowledge of statistical software
- Technical knowledge of digital data solutions such as ODK, Kobo etc
- negotiation skills at different levels
- Capacity building skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and analytical skills
- Ability to work in unstable environments and under pressure, with limited support/supervision Strong inter-personal and advisory skills
- Strong inter-personal and advisory skills
- Ability to organise, prioritize and commit to deadlines
- High level of reliability, objectivity, and honesty
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with project staff and implementing partners at all levels
- Availability to work outside normal hours and travel extensively within the Gedo region and outside when necessary
- Empathy with and understanding of Trocaire’s values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Knowledge of Somalia and the Gedo region in particular
HOW TO APPLY
For the Candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trocaire Offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 25th November 2022.
To apply follow this link to submit your application: https://apply.workable.com/trocaire/j/433C703173/