Nutrition and Food Systems Specialist, Mogadishu
- CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2202607
- Nutrition and Food Systems Specialist
- Job Posting: 16/Sep/2022
- Closure Date: 30/Sep/2022, 9:59:00 PM
- Organizational Unit : FRSOM – FAO Representation in Somalia
- Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
- Type of Requisition : Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
- Grade Level : N/A
- Primary Location: Somalia-Mogadiscio
- Duration : 11 Months
- Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by the FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government in developing policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in FAO’s global mandate and strategic objectives.
More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and responding to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The Nutrition and Food Systems Specialist will be under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia and the direct supervision of Head of Programme.
The Nutrition and Food Systems Specialist will lead the Nutrition Sensitive Programming and Food Systems agenda in FAO Somalia in line with country priorities, FAOs Global Strategic Frameworks and FAO Country Programming Framework to build sustainable food systems that support healthy diets, positive nutrition outcomes and the realization of the SDGs.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide technical oversight and capacity enhancement aligned to the organisational frameworks to ensure nutrition mainstreaming and integration in country programmes and projects and effective technical performance of nutrition and food systems approaches.
- Contribute to operationalization, reporting and work plans and the supporting budgets/and/or resourcing strategies relating to nutrition and food systems programmes/projects/activities of the Country Programming Framework (CPF) 2022 -2025.
- Provide functional and technical guidance for all nutrition related and food systems programmes, especially nutrition sensitive agriculture, education for behaviour change, micronutrients intake and related food security programmes relevant to both development and emergency operations at sub-national and national levels, taking into account the Horn of Africa regional context.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with relevant ministries, SUN Movement, Clusters including FAO sub-regional, regional and headquarter offices and other stakeholders, for joint approaches and initiatives in the nutrition sensitive productive sector and food systems agenda.
- Participate in coordination mechanisms relevant to nutrition and food systems agenda (including clusters and/or sectors), with government authorities, other UN agencies, donors and other partners.
- Strengthen the country office’s advocacy work on Nutrition and Food Systems Transformation.
- Provides technical and policy advice to the Federal and State level governments in Somalia and technical support in the development and implementation of an evidence-based Food Systems Transformation Plan aligned to national identified priorities including, the Food System Summit pathway, the National Development Plan and other relevant policy frameworks.
- Develop inter-institutional and multi-stakeholder coordination and participation mechanisms to support the Agri nutrition and food systems transformation in Somalia.
- Lead the research and learning agendas that will permit the identification and prioritization of actions that develop the capacity of government and other stakeholders to deliver healthy diets through nutrition sensitive approaches.
- Lead the review and identification of gaps to formulate and implement capacity building strategies on nutrition and food systems for FAO country team and stakeholders.
- Produce a variety of technical reports and input for technical documents, divisional publications and/or web pages.
- Compile evidence, lessons learnt and good practices of FAO work and makes recommendations in nutrition-enhancing food systems policies and frameworks.
- Represent FAO in relevant nutrition and food systems related platforms and events, while providing technical insights and disseminating lessons learnt.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in agricultural development and/or policy, nutrition, food science or a related field.
- Five years of relevant experience in integrating nutrition into food systems and agricultural policies and programmes.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian for COF.REG. Working knowledge of English level C for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in Nutrition Sensitive Agriculture and Food Systems Strategy.
- Experience in capacity strengthening workshops for government.
- Track record in Food Systems Task force/ working group created.
- Experience in designing nutrition sensitive agriculture projects for resource mobilization.
- Experience in development of the Food Systems Transformation Plan.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For more information, visit the FAO employment website
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
HOW TO APPLY
Follow this link to Apply: https://jobs.fao.org/careersection/fao_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=2202607
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT