- Requisition ID: req31540
- Job Title: Procurement Specialist
- Sector: Supply Chain
- Employment Category: Proposal
- Employment Type: Full-Time
- Open to Expatriates: Yes
- Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
The IRC began working in Somalia in the early 1980s; initially to assist people seeking refuge in the aftermath of the Somalia-Ethiopian conflict. The focus of IRC Somalia programming is on Economic Recovery and Development (ERD), Health and Nutrition, WASH, Governance and Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) interventions to crisis affected communities in most of the targeted locations. With headquarters in Mogadishu, the IRC oversees field offices in Garowe, Gaalkayo, Dhusamareb and Baidoa in Puntland, Galmudug, Southwest and Benadir Region. IRC programming in Somalia adopts an integrated and holistic approach, in which each sector provides mutually reinforcing services to at-risk populations.
The IRC is seeking experienced and professional Procurement Specialist for an upcoming opportunity entitled ‘Build Resilience for Food & Nutrition Security (BREFONS) which is funded by the African Development Bank (AfDB) through the Ministry of Livestock, Forestry, and Range (MoLFR) of the Federal Republic of Somalia (being the Executing Agency). BREFONS will be implemented in selected areas in Somaliland, Puntland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Southwest, and Jubbaland.
The ambitious BREFONS project is expected to improve living conditions of rural communities in the above-mentioned project target areas by improving their access to water, pasture, and infrastructure for livestock health and markets. The main components of the project include:
i) Strengthening the resilience of Pastoral and Agropastoral Production systems,
ii) Supporting Agribusiness Development in Pastoral Communities,
iii) Strengthening the Adaptive Capacity to Climate Change; and
iv) Project management and coordination. Gender, climate change, fragility and environmental requirements will be mainstreamed and integrated across all components.
Under the main components mentioned above, the project will support the development of Climate Resilient Infrastructures for Agropastoral Production Systems, sustainable Management of Agropastoral lands, Climate Smart Technologies and Innovations, facilitation of Access to Market and Digital Advisory Services, as well as to support with Livelihood Diversification, the development and improvement of weather and climate services, the mainstreaming of Climate Risk Finance and Insurance; operational and institution capacity for climate resilience and adaptation and Project management and coordination at national and regional state levels.
Scope of work
Under the supervision of the Team Leader/Project Coordinator, the Procurement Specialist will be required to deliver the strategic and operational goals of the BREFONS project procurement function. The Procurement Specialist will be responsible for planning, co-ordination and control of the project procurement activities in accordance with the procurement plan, financing agreement and project documents. The position holder will be responsible for ensuring the unit provides efficient, effective, and quality management of procurement services. S/he will be responsible for ensuring goods and services are sourced in a transparent manner, considering value for money and in compliance with the IRC, donor, and government regulations. The Procurement Specialist is responsible for ensuring collaboration and coordination with Country program teams and other departments for effective program implementation. S/he will be required to keep up to date with developments in the sector, including best practice examples in-Country and internationally to ensure the Country Office is well aligned with changes in the market. The Procurement Specialist will be based in Mogadishu, with frequent travel to project sites in Somaliland, Puntland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Southwest and Jubbaland.
• Procurement Specialist will be responsible for planning, co-ordination and control of the BREFONS project procurement activities in accordance with the procurement plan, financing agreement and project documents.
• Lead in the preparation, consolidation and monitoring of procurement plans in line with project requirements
• Lead in the development of Invitation for bids, Request for Expression of Interest and Terms of Reference for all procurement activities
• Assist in preparation for bidding documents for goods, works and non-consulting services and Request for proposals for consultancy services in accordance with African Development Bank requirements
• Guarantee timely acquisition of goods, works and services to the required specifications and consistent with the overall project budgets and objectives, support the MoLFR and the respective ministries at the Federal Member States (FMS) in the procurement of goods, services and works
• Ensure Quality of procurement documents, evaluation reports, contract document before they are submitted to AfDB for review and clearance
• Support in building procurement capacity of MoLFR through hands-on training to ministry procurement staff
• He/She will ensure timely delivery of the activities set out in the contract agreement
• The Procurement Specialist will be required to prepare monthly and quarterly progress reports and any other reports as may be instructed by the Client.
Required qualifications & competencies:
• At least Masters in Supply Chain Management, MBA, Law, Economics, Business Administration, Engineering or equivalent
• Minimum 5 years in management procurement of projects; familiarity with multilateral development banks procedures such as African Development Bank, World Bank and UN.
• Experience in supervision of contractors and contract administration.
• Experience working with AfDB, or similar bilateral donors, on commercial procurement contract management.
• Proven and significant experience in Procurement and contract management, including an ability to review Procurement demands and trends, and to develop Procurement strategies.
• A thorough understanding of the institutional and political context in Somalia and power dynamics.
• Willingness to undertake field travel as required and work in difficult environments according to travel environments.
• Demonstrated ability for rapid analysis of complex issues, strong decision-making, and translation of programmatic priorities into operational strategies.
• Ability to oversee the measurement and communication of robust results and impact and hold their team and implementing partners accountable for good and timely performance.
• Strong understanding of operational management, fiduciary risk, attention to Value for Money and the importance of learning and continual improvement.
• Fluency in English and Somali desired.
• Excellent IT skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Ability to manage a large and varied workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Somali nationals are particularly encouraged to apply.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: The IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: at the IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
HOW TO APPLY
Follow this link to Apply: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/31540?c=rescue
Closing date: 14 Oct 2022