Job title: (Various) Professional Trainers
- Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Responsible to: Director of the Institute
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Working hours: Full-time or Part-time
- Closing date: 31 January 2023
Global Peace and Prosperity Initiative (GLOPPI) is a right-based international organization operating in the Horn and Eastern Africa especially Kenya, Somaliland and Somalia. GLOPPI envisions a peaceful and prosperous world where human/minority rights are respected and fully enjoyed. In collaboration with others, GLOPPI strives to transform people’s lives by eliminating poverty, violent conflicts and poor governance to bring about lasting peace and prosperity to the world’s most vulnerable, marginalized, excluded and poorest communities especially women, children, youth, minority and endogenous groups through innovative, high impact and relevant programmes and projects in the areas of good governance, livelihoods, food security, entrepreneurship and employment, value addition, resilience, access to social services, human rights, gender and social inclusion, emergencies and protection. GLOPPI empowers the poor, marginalized, excluded and suffering people to lead a peaceful and prosperous life. We focus on regions and countries where people suffer most as a result of extreme poverty, violent and recurrent conflicts, weak governance as well as marginalization.
Poverty and unemployment are increasing in Somaliland and Somalia. Although good education does not guarantee someone to get a job. It is even much worse where the quality of education is extremely poor like in the Horn of Africa, especially Somaliland and Somalia. From such poor quality educational systems, thousands of students graduate who plan to join the public, private and non-profit sectors although the majority remain unemployed. Even those who are unemployed still lack relevant and professional skills which negatively impacts the performance of their employers. They need continuous professional training programmes to competently perform their duties and responsibilities to contribute to economic growth and development.
For these reasons, GLOPPI would like to support the International Institute of Leadership, Non-Profit Management and Professional Training (ILMIPRO) in Hargeisa, Somaliland to bridge the gap between education and employment (labour market). The institute will offer professional, specialized and tailor-made training programmes and foreign languages. This will contribute to employment generation and livelihood by enabling students, university graduates, and employees of public, private and not-for-profit sectors to have relevant and professional skills and strong language foundations to join the labour market and universities to further their education and to be proficient and excel in their jobs. This will also enable them to network with the outside world; find more opportunities and create jobs for themselves and the unemployed people. Therefore, the institute will enhance the capacity of both individuals and public, private and non-profit organizations to be more effective in discharging their responsibilities and mandates.
The positions of professional trainers from various fields of specialization are exciting for those individuals who are interested to make a difference by developing the careers of others and supporting them to get jobs and decent livelihoods and contribute to economic growth and development. Therefore, GLOPPI would like to receive applications for these interesting positions (professional trainers) from qualified and experienced candidates. The training can and will be conducted online (virtually) or physically in our training centre depending on the trainers’ preferences and residential areas. You can apply from anywhere worldwide and come to Hargeisa occasionally when absolutely necessary.
We are looking for highly organized and experienced professional trainers with both the training and work experience related to the subject of interest to join our professional institute. The trainers will be responsible for developing the training curriculum, content, training needs assessments, organizing, conducting, monitoring and evaluating training ensuring the availability of all the resources required (materials, guides, online and offline modules, tutorials, instructions, computers, audio-visual aids, and learning resources).
The ideal trainers will be confident public speakers who are up-to-date with the latest tools and techniques needed to improve the performance of training participants. The trainers will also be responsible for researching and selecting the best platforms and technologies to effectively and efficiently deliver the training programs and utilize training materials.
Please check the list of training programmes below and choose the course(s) that you may be interested to offer. You can also propose other courses. Please submit the content or outline of the course and previous training report of the same course if possible or other training reports along with your CV and cover letter. If you are interested in different training courses, please list them in your cover letter and submit the content and previous training report(s) for one to three courses maximum.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain current knowledge of the subject; stay abreast of new developments, events and technologies as well as new methods and techniques of transferring skills.
- Prepare the training curriculum/content, manuals and materials for the subject of interest.
- Conduct training needs assessments and skill gap analyses for the training participants.
- In consultation with other trainers, managers and the leadership, develop or collect relevant job descriptions that the training participants are interested in and conduct the needs and gap analyses by breaking down the job descriptions into tasks and identifying areas of weaknesses and designing the training accordingly.
- Prepare training schedule, lessons, lesson plans, objectives, handouts and audiovisual aids:
- Organize and invite the participants to the training and monitor their attendance.
- Conduct training sessions on the subject of interest using participatory methods effectively:
- Conduct the training sessions as close to on-job training as possible and ensure that the participants master the subject and apply skills practically. The training can and will be conducted online (virtually) or physically in our training centre.
- Monitor and evaluate the training courses on daily bases.
- Track and analyse learning curriculum effectiveness through various evaluation techniques and evaluation of individual performances
- Write overall training and evaluation reports:
- Track or follow up with the training participants and find out how the training helped them improve their skills and get jobs by conducting follow-up surveys and interviews.
- Develop or support your colleagues to develop paper-based and web-based training courses
- Counsel the training participants on improving businesses and follow-up improvements (only business management trainers)
- Counseled potential business people on generating business ideas and business start-ups(only business management trainers)
- Coordinate logistics of training to include a training room, attendance tracking, passwords, materials and supplies
- Do other activities as directed by your supervisor
- You must have a Master’s degree in the subject of interest (field of specialization) or other relevant degrees.
- You must have 7 years of experience in training the subject matter (subject of interest). First degree in subject matter, and 10 years of teaching experience in lieu of the master’s degree
- At least 5 years ‘experience of working with recognized professional institutes or academies.
- You have must excellent training skills and knowledge of the most effective and practical training methods
- You must have excellent spoken and written English language skills.
- You must be a good communicator, effectively communicating with all stakeholders.
- You must have the ability to work in stressful situations and under pressure.
- You must have good listening, mentoring and coaching skills.
- You must have planning, organisational and interpersonal skills.
- You must be patient, confident, and hard-working and must have clear diction and lateral thinking.
- You must be able to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- You must use creativity and imagination in your training classes
- Experience in handling or facilitating examinations and tests.
- You must be willing to come to work in Hargeisa, Somaliland when needed
- You must have at least two years experience of conducting training online or virtually
- You have experience using zoom, Microsoft team and other applications that help you conduct the training online or virtually
- You must have 5 years of experience in training students of different ages and gender and preferably have 3 years of work experience in your field of specialization (subject of training).
LIST OF THE TRAINING PROGRAMMES (FOR NON-PROFIT, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECTORS)NON-PROFIT AND PUBLIC SECTORS
A. LEADERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE
- Leadership and management training
- NGOs governance and management training
- Fundraising and Resource Mobilization
- Public Management
- Strategic planning
- Organizational change and management
- Public Reform
- Public Policy
- Needs assessment training
- Research and Surveys (baseline & end-line surveys) training
- Feasibility study
- Data Analysis Packages (SPSS, Strata etc)
- Project cycle management
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Proposal writing
- Report Writing
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Project Impact Assessment
- Policy Advocacy and Campaigns
- Knowledge Management
- Result-Based Management
- Organizational Capacity assessment (public, private &non-profit organizations)
- Training of Trainers (TOT)
- Food security and livelihoods
- Agriculture and Irrigation
- Water and soil management /Conservation and Watershed management
- Natural Resource Management
- Agriculture and Livestock Value Addition
- Food Science and Processing
- Mining and Processing
- DRR and Resilience and Climate Change Adaptation
- Business Management and Entrepreneurship
- Education and Education Management
- Health and Nutrition
- Water and Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Shelter and Settlement Management
- Good Governance and Democracy
- Gender, Human Rights (Child rights, Women rights &Minority/Indigenous rights)
- Conflict Transformation and Peace Building
- Communication, Journalism and Media (including social media)
D. FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
- NGO financial management
- Public Finance Management and Reform
- Accounting Software or Packages (QuickBooks, Sun System, Oracle, Peoplesoft, SAP etc).
- Planning and budgeting
- Logistics, Procurement and Supply Chain
- Administration and front office management
- Human Resource Management
- Communication and writing impact stories & case studies
E. PRIVATE SECTOR AND INDIVIDUALS
- Market Research & assessments
- Generating new business ideas
- Business start-up
- Sales and Marketing
- Strategic planning
- Business Management
- Business Planning
- Buying and Stock Control
- Expand Your Business
- Writing Business proposals
- Accounting Packages (QuickBooks, Freshbooks, Zoho books, Oracle etc)
- Human resource management
- Administration and management
- Supply chain and management
- Graphic Design
- Digital Marketing
- CV-Writing and Effective Job Applications
HOW TO APPLY
If you think you meet the job specification, please prepare and send the course outline (content), previous training report(s) that you conducted latest and your CVs/Resume and motivation letter (specifying your achievements and why you think you are the right person for the specific position/training) to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com not later than 31 January 2023.
Please put the name of the position followed by the course (s) in the subject line of your email e.g –Application for professional trainer-project management. Because of the urgency of this position, we will review the applications regularly as we receive applications. The training programs are already scheduled to start in December 2022. Unfortunately, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.