Senior Program Assistant (Lower Shabelle)
- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
- Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of position:
- Our clients Transition & Recovery Pillar (TRP) encompasses their Somalia Community Stabilization Unit (CSU) & Disengagement, Disassociation, Reintegration & Reconciliation (DDRR) program & addresses the multifaceted drivers of instability to support the Somali govt. & communities to build peace & lay the foundations for longer term, sustainable recovery through activities that restore trust horizontally between communities & vertically between communities & govt. authorities in newly recovered & fragile areas. Within this mandate, TRP works with marginalized & at risk youth on Preventing Violent Extremism (PVE) & to promote social cohesion & supports the Federal Government of Somalia’s (FGS) national program for the treatment & handling of disengaged combatants in South West State & Jubaland. TRP also supports the FGS’s & Federal Member State (FMS) level stabilization strategies through the Daryeel program that works in Galmudug (GM), Hirshabelle (HS), South West State (SWS) & Jubaland (JSS).
- Our client is building on its existing stabilization programming & will be working further to support stabilization efforts in newly recovered, unstable & fragile areas in South & Central Somalia namely Hirshabelle, Galmudug, Jubaland, South West State through our client’s EU & USAID funded stabilization program, locally named Daryeel. The program harnesses the stabilization gains made by previous stabilization programs of our client (EU IcSP phase I & SSI) & aims to contribute to stabilization efforts in Somalia through creating conditions for restoring trust among communities & between communities & local leadership, thereby rebuilding the social contract between Somali citizens & state institutions & providing a bridge to longer term development interventions. In addition, CSU is preparing for 2 new projects namely USAID funded education program targeting Lower Shabelle & Lower Juba & a UNPBF funded joint our client & FAO project focusing on youth & women in Lower Shabelle.
- Under the overall supervision of the Program Officer (Community Stabilization) & under direct supervision of the National Stabilization Officer (SWS), Community Stabilization Unit (CSU) seeks to recruit a Senior Program Assistant to oversee, plan community stabilization programming in Lower Shabelle. The successful candidate will oversee field level implementation of stabilization programming in Lower Shabelle & liaison with local partners, local govt. counterparts & community members on the ground. Where needed, the incumbent will also provide support to matching grant activities. This position is based in Mogadishu & will require frequent travel across Somalia.
Role objectives: CSU has 3 ongoing programs in Lower Shabelle (STEP, PIAP & Daryeel). The selected candidate will:
- Lead & coordinate at field level the implementation of stabilization activities in Lower Shabelle & provide analysis into context, security & political dynamics that would affect implementation workplans.
- Identify & provide technical inputs to activity level concept notes, proposals & budgets focusing on stabilization programming in Lower Shabelle.
- Conduct & lead geographic assessments in target locations of Lower Shabelle & draft assessment reports.
- Operationalize community cofunding mechanisms through the matching grant activity for target locations of Lower Shabelle by mapping local resources with communities & assisting them with resource mobilization.
- Lead in the establishment of Core Facilitation Teams (CFTs) & District Project Implementation Units (DPIU) in target locations.
- Capacitate community teams & govt. authorities on community based planning processes, technical compilation & drafting of community action plans to better respond to the community needs & improve service delivery providing a bridge to longer term development interventions through awareness raising discussions & trainings.
- Assist National Program Officer (SWS) to coordinate with RMU in ensuring that admin related tasks are carried out timely for smooth implementation of activities.
- Assist & provide inputs to M&E team, communications focal person & Community Stabilization Officer.
- Participate in community stabilization meetings regarding Lower Shabelle & provide report to the National Stabilization Officer.
- Undertake duty travels to provide technical support for activity implementation as needed.
- Maintain effective liaison & coordination with local authorities, community members, stabilization partners.
- Manage Program Monitors based in Lower Shabelle & provide them training to enhance their capacity.
- Provide technical support to selected implementing partners & service providers for activities pertaining to Lower Shabelle.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- This role works Under the overall supervision of the Program Officer (Community Stabilization) & under direct supervision of the National Stabilization Officer (SWS).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law, or related fields from an accredited academic institution with 5 years of relevant professional experience or School Diploma with 7 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in community stabilization programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the socio economic & political dynamics of Somalia, particularly Lower Shabelle, working experience in the region an advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge & experience in project design, implementation & management.
- Previous work experience in liaising with govt. & local authorities in Lower Shabelle.
- Thorough knowledge & understanding of govt. structures & current development planning in Somalia in coordinating with local & state govt. authorities & Civil Society Organizations (CSO’s).
- Experience working on community projects in hard to reach areas.
- Prior experience in Africa is a must, preferably in Somalia.
- Fluency in English & Somali is required.
- Knowledge of other UN official language is desirable.
- In In depth knowledge of community based activities & stabilization activities.
- Knowledge of UN & bilateral donor programming.
- Working experience with women, youth, children, people with disabilities, minorities & marginalized communities.
- Working experience in development of activity based concept notes, activity proposals & activity budgets.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Working experience in implementation of sustainable livelihood activities.
- Working experience in implementation of matching grant or other cofunding mechanisms.
- Respects & promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules & standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent & committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day to day challenges.
- Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
- Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example & demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision, assists others to realize & develop their potential.
Team management: This role has no team management responsibility.
Further information: Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to Apply
Follow this link to Apply: https://app.tayohr.io/jobs/detail/vac-7905-senior-program-assistant-lower-shabelle-6624