P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences: Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Roles and responsibilities
The purpose of the WASH/ Shelter intern assistant position is to assist in the day-to-day implementation of the CC project.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Assist in the capture and management of data generated by the South-Central Shelter Project
- Responsible for the documentation of Shelter projects, including project inputs and outputs
- Participate in needs assessments, beneficiaries’ selections, and registrations
- Assist issues relating to ICLA activities, particularly through coordinated efforts
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies and donor requirements
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Follow up and monitor project implementation by partners or contractors
- Contribute new ideas and solutions to improve the project implementation and for new strategies.
- Manage data through the filing system and ensure documents are archived
- Undertake beneficiary’s registrations, distributions of Wash/shelter NFI’s in the field
- Participate in rapid need assessments/multisectoral
- Supervise the community-based hygiene promoters daily and submit field visit reports
- Support implementation of water trucking activities under NRC in Somaliland
- Conduct community meetings and FGDS (focus group discussions) with selected groups.
- Together with the Monitoring and Evaluation unit, periodic monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities are performed.
- Community mobilization and registration.
- Overseeing procurement and distribution of hygiene kits Update and maintain all WASH filing systems, including contracts, beneficiary lists, and reports, e.g. (Field visits and monthly and quarterly reports)
- Attend WASH meetings and provide meeting updates
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in designing and delivering essential WASH services and facilities.
- Conduct hygiene promotion activities in the IDP camps and schools under the guidance of the WASH Officer.
- Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of this training.
- Raise awareness on issues relevant to the community and encourage their participation in projects
- Ensure mainstreaming of all cross-cutting issues in the implementation of activities
- Prepare field visit reports or as required internally by NRC as well as relevant donors
- Carry out any other WASH-related duties/assignments assigned by the supervisor.
Skills and Qualifications
Our Ideal Candidate:
- University degree in Public health or relevant education background
- Proficiency in MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential
- Ability to work independently in a result-oriented, multi-tasking, and multi-cultural environment
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities
- High level of organizational ability, strong administrative skills
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills
- Accuracy and precision
- High integrity and confidentiality
- Minimum three-year experience from working at a senior/ similar level within security management set-up
- We are looking for a university degree graduate.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage stress and under extreme challenging environments
- Very good English language and report writing skills – written and spoken .
- We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
How to apply
What We Offer:
Contract period: Up to December 2023, with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Mogadishu
Additional Information: Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraging.