Welfare Assistant – Mogadisho
- Description of assignment title: Welfare Assistant
- Assignment country: Somalia
- Expected start date: 11/01/2022
- Sustainable Development Goal: 3. Good health and well-being
- Volunteer category: International UN Volunteer Specialist
- DoA reserved for persons with disabilities: No
- Host entity: UNSOS
- Type: Onsite
- Duration: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
- Number of assignments: 1
- Duty stations: Mogadisho
Mission and Objectives
The United Nations Security Council in Resolution 2245 adopted on 09 November 2015 established the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS). This replaced the United Nations Support Office for AMISOM (UNSOs), established in 2009. https://unsos.unmissions.org/unsos-mandate. United Nations Security Council Resolution 2245 decided that UNSOS will be responsible for support to AMISOM, UNSOM, the Somali National Army (SNA) and the Somali Police Force (SPF) on joint operations with AMISOM.
United Nations Security Council Resolution 2245 of 9 November 2015 established the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS). UNSOS is responsible for provision of support to AMISOM, UNSOM, and Somali Security Forces engaged joint operations with AMISOM.
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Administrative Officer; the direct supervision of the Welfare Officer, and working closely with the UN Somalia Staff Welfare and Recreation Committee the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Assess, identify, monitor, and report on the avenues for positive outlets for recreation and wellbeing of UN personnel in Somalia.
- Recommend welfare approaches for positive engagement by UN personnel.
- Organize and deliver welfare events, thereby improving the recreational and social opportunities for staff.
- Develop and deliver programs to increase adjustment to mission life as well as increase cooperation between sections, sectors, and all categories of personnel.
- Coordinate activities with the UN military and police Welfare focal points with regard to social, cultural, and recreational events.
- Create and develop a generic menu of welfare and recreation programs for regional offices including training, exercise classes, cultural and social events, etc.
- Travel periodically to regional offices in Somalia for welfare-related activities.
- Develop, recommend, and monitor proposals for use of welfare funds and budgets.
- Increase staff awareness and information about social and recreational opportunities available to them in the mission area;
- Ensure maintenance of welfare equipment and exercises, sports, and recreational facilities.
- Manage the development of the welfare library and supervise the arrangement and the loan of all material.
- Prepare periodic statistics on activities, participation in events, and contacts clients.;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Age: 27 – 80
- Nationality: Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
- Required Experience: 4 years of experience in Experience working in a multi-cultural setting
- Area(s) of expertise: Health
- Driving license: For light motor vehicles Required
- Languages: English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required Education Level
Technical/vocational diploma in Event management Welfare management
Competencies and Values
- Integrity and professionalism
- Judgment & Decision Making
- Planning and Organization
- Communication & interpersonal skills
- Technological Awareness
- Cross-cultural common expertise
HOW TO APPLY
Follow this link to Apply: https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1678306042427648
Closing date: Tuesday, 4 October 2022